Sunday, January 30, 2011

4 day weekend (1.21-1.24)

This is a little photo story of my 4 day weekend last weekend. 

1.21 and 1.22: Camping at Manabao with some great friends. Spent time relaxing, reading, laughing, hiking and cooking. It was lovely to just BE in God's creation. 


[Manabao is where they make Spirit Mountain Coffee. This was started by our founders of Doulos and this fair trade coffee directly benefits our scholarship program at Doulos. So here's how the coffee process works...mas o menos. Here is the coffee plant. When the seeds are red, that means they are ready to be picked.]


[Here is a whole group of coffee plants]

[This is what the inside looks like. We took one out and sucked on it and surprisingly it tastes like a vegetable.]
[This is the machine they use to take the beans out of the shell]

 [THIS is how they dry the coffee beans out. I thought this was really picturesque]

1.23: On Sunday of the 4 day weekend, I went on my very first moto trip to a place called Constanza. It was basically Americanas and Dominicanos. It was an absolute adventure. 

[Don't worry this is actually how we rode on the motos. This is just when we were stuck on the side of the rode with a flat tire. We had some fun anyways]

[Here we are. Complete with the beautiful view]

1.24: On the last day of our break, Amanda, my roommate, and I finally (pretty much) finished our frame wall. You never know what we will find next to add. It was quite an ordeal to just get this far. The frames, used to have mirrors in them, the spring used to be a bed spring (a friend made that for us) and now has been turned into a candle holder. The colorful circles are lids to various tubs covered by various fabrics. The green box (you can't really tell its a box, but it is) was made by us. And it is displaying the great piece of coral I found on the beach. And at the bottom we have the front of a drawer that we found in a junk pile. From trash to treasure!

[We really love this wall]

2 comments:

  1. I love this post and am so proud of you!! two posts already, you are such an over achiever, get it girl. Thank you for being such a huge part of my life :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are such great pictures! It looks like you had so much fun on your getaway weekend! I absolutely love your frame wall...and I can only imagine how hard you worked on it! I don't have any of that creative ability, so I truly appreciate your vision!

    ReplyDelete