Sunday, August 22, 2010

not soo good at this blogging world...

Ok so I am fully aware that when you blog, it should not be every 3 weeks. I promise to TRY to get better at this because I know I have so many avid followers (bah ha).

Since I haven't written since my first week here I could get a bit lengthy, but I will spare you all. I will do my best to give a recap of some events from the past few weeks.


  • We have been working hard to fix up our house with decos and painting. Amanda, Melanie and I painted our house aqua, sky blue and green apple. I know what you're thinking...that must be nauseatingly bright, BUT it actually isn't! It is quite pleasant! Also, I got my bedspread in the mail on Wednesday so my room now feels complete (well almost) and a little more home-y.
[my room!]


[my earring holder that we made out of burlap]


[our oh-so-bright color choices for our house]



[the finished product.]

  • During staff training for our Expedition training (an expedition is the basis for our curriculum at Doulos and every semester each class has their very own expedition, so we get trained in how to lead one) we went to a place called a Batey. In short, a batey is a community where Haitian sugar plantation workers live. The living conditions are very poor and their wages are incredibly low. We went there to visit with the people there and hear first hand what life is like there. We also gave them some water filters because they have no clean water. It was a very humbling and wonderful experience.
[a day in the life at the batey]


[is this my future?]


[playing with the kids]

  • The staff had our staff retreat at Pico Escondido (the Young Life camp here) and it was incredible. Incredible worship time. Incredible team building. Incredible view! Also, I have become very clumsy the past few weeks. I wiped out while playing basketball at the retreat, fell about 10 times hiking to a waterfall, and I skidded on the ground while swinging on a tree swing. Let's pray I get my "Dominican legs" sometime soon so I don't embarrass myself quite so much. 
[Pico Escondido]


[staff worship]

  • Most importantly, school started on Wednesday!! I was unsure if everything was going to come together, which it almost did...minus my whiteboard coming in. :) I was extremely nervous and even more nervous that the kids were gonna sense it! But the day went SO GREAT! They even wanted to spend the night in classroom when I told them school was almost over for the day! They are seriously a top notch group of kids and I have only heard great things from their 2nd grade teacher last year! Also, I got a brand new classroom! I feel so blessed! 
[First Day of School!]

Special surprise: Ms. Leah made playdough! 

[Keyrol.Abigail.Nalleli]


[Amy. Yasli. Daniel. Cristina]


[Amanda. Mayelin. Franckely. Esthefany]


[Marbelyn. Elena. Gaby. Yadi]

Ok so, I know that a very brief overview of some things but my goal is to write more often so I can offer some more details about things that are going on! 

4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Leah. I know we haven't talked since FISH, like a million years ago, but I love your blog and I love what your doing. Keep posting :)
    -Brittany

    ReplyDelete
  3. Leah I love Your Blog!!! I hope we can skype soon! I feel as if I have so much to hear from you about your experience and likewise to share with you! I feel as if life is going by so fast and even tho my future is moving by slowly, I feel God working in my quickly towards those things. I miss you and love you! I too will be starting my own blogg soon. It will represent My and God's Journey towards creating my fasshion line, Bara. I will write about inspirations, struggles, successes, etc! Love you girl!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Leah we love your blog. we are so happy that your first day went so well!! your students are so blessed to have you!!! can't wait for the next update hope all is well!!!
    love 2 u

    ReplyDelete