Monday, August 2, 2010

Flights, fans y mosquitoes

so my journey on Saturday morning started off PRETTY early. 4 am to be exact. I was flying stand by so I attempted to catch the 7am flight. then the 9am. then the 10:45. Man, oh man, when my name was called to board that 10:45 flight I felt like I won a prize or something. Luckily for me, I had the lovely Tricia Wood (who works for American Airlines) wait by my side the entire time and helped me maneuver my way around flying stand by. So special shout out to Tricia. You are amazing. Once I made it to Miami, my flight from Miami to Santiago was pretty open. Open enough to even let me fly business class. Let me tell you, it is as good as they say. I didn't know whether to take a nap because I had so much room, or eat the free food they gave me! So I did both. Napped then ate the free food. Even though I had just had a huge burger (my last plea for great meat), I still ate it. Call me a pig, I don't care. I had to take advantage seeing as I may never fly business class again. 



[We all know I had to take a sky pic from the plane. It's just too marvelous not to]





[This is some of the teachers in Santiago with our large load of bags]


Reunions: On Sunday morning we got up and went to church at the church that I attended in the fall called La Vid. Most of the staff goes there so it was so wonderful to see everyone! Most of all, I got to see 2 of my kindergarteners from the fall, and it was such a sweet moment. One of the girls, Anais, saw me half way through the service and had this huge smile across her face. I of course did as well. When we were worshipping, I felt like I had never left. Like it was just any other Sunday. That's really how it felt all day. Just normal. I even went a whole 5 hours without even looking at my watch to see what time it was. I was so at peace, which I guess is exactly how it's meant to be.

Mosquitoes: At my new house, I was told I should sleep under a mosquito net. Last time I didn't ever, so I thought it was kinda weird. So last night I thought I would be fine without it. WRONG. Very wrong. I woke up about 3 times being eaten alive. Put on some bug spray. Went back to sleep. Finally I had just given up and at 3:30, I had to get up and put that darn net back up. Another thing, I'm just going to have to get used to again. I was told that getting a fan (which I needed to anyways because it's so dang hot at night) would keep the mosquitoes away. So I went today, very elated to get a fan. Got home. ATTEMPTED to put it together. There were 5 girls, make that 5 Aggie girls [insert Aggie joke here], trying to put that thing together and it just wasn't happening. Needless to say, I will be taking it back to the furniture store and kindly asking them to put it back together.


 [This is the tiny screw we had to screw in. Without a screwdriver. How did you do that you ask? Tiny scissors. Too bad that still wasn't the solution to making that fan work]


[This is me putting the new student teachers to work. jk. This is us being defeated by that fan. Also, yes, that is in fact my janky way of putting up my mosquito net in the background.]


[Today I bought a bath mat from la canchita and just had to have this one. Minus the fact that I love the van, even more I love the "Pray for sure." I want to know who translated that for them. Any guesses on what phrase they were trying to get at? I think it's what they think Cali surfers would say. "Pray for sure mannn." Who knows]


Tomorrow I'm super pumped to see all the staff from last year that are getting in town tonight! More staff training etc. this week! 


1 comment:

  1. loved your first post from the D.R. i felt i was there with you so that was great. as many times as we moved around you would think that only home would feel like home. but i totally know what you mean about being back and feeling like you never left. when i would get back to a place we had lived before, i couldn't wait to frequent the local stores or local hole in the walls. and i would immediately welcome all the familiar smells. and it was doubly special to see friends made along the way. so needless to say i was smiling the whole time i read your blog.
    so glad you are so happy
    love 2 u
    lea ann

    ReplyDelete